Risk of Harm*
> 6 months
> 1 year
- The ratings are based on assessment of the performance of the building in earthquake shaking matching that used in the design of new office buildings.
- Safety Rating reflects overall performance of the structure and building elements and their strength and integrity from a safety perspective.
- Damage Rating indicates damage that could occur in that level of shaking.
- Repair Time Rating indicates the time required to repair the building – assuming access to it and availability of reasonable resources. It does not account for lack of access to the building beyond the control of the owner.
- Taken together, these ratings give a valuable indication of the ability of the building to keep people safe, reduce damage and to restore operations after a major earthquake.
- The ratings are based on the assessments of experienced engineers and are intended as an overall guide to help owners, tenants, insurers and others differentiate between buildings at a “headline” level.
- They give a general indication of expected performance of the building, but due to the highly variable nature of ground shaking and building response in a real earthquake the ratings cannot be regarded in any way as being a prediction of performance in a particular event.