QuakeStar is an incorporated society formed to establish and operate an earthquake rating scheme for New Zealand buildings, including houses.
The aim of QuakeStar is to improve the management of earthquake risk in the property industry by providing owners, tenants, users and the public a basic means to distinguish between buildings on the basis of assessed earthquake performance in terms of safety, damage and repair time.
Risk of Harm*
> 6 months
> 1 year
Modelled on the United States Resiliency Council Ratings system with a 500-year shaking intensity. *Safety (Risk of personal harm).
- QuakeStar improves the consistency and accessibility of building reporting
- Buildings with higher design standards, score higher star-ratings
- QuakeStar records vital earthquake characteristics
- QuakeStar is indicative (and not predictive)
- QuakeStar provides a basis for the comparison of NZ buildings
- QuakeStar synchronises with %NBS (but with advantages)